Charleston Criminal Defense Attorney – Defending Your Rights
What To Look For In A Criminal Defense Attorney In Charleston, SC
Attorneys are everywhere; turn on the TV, flip through a magazine, or listen to the radio and you’re bound to hear an ad from an attorney who claims to be the best in the business, with just the right expertise to address your needs. The truth of the matter is that as a defendant, you need to choose your criminal defense attorney, and not the other way around, which means it’s unlikely that the first one you come across will be the right one for you. With that said, it can be difficult to know what you need, and therefore difficult to choose a criminal defense attorney who can properly handle the unique aspects of your case in Charleston, SC. The following are a few guidelines that may help you in the search for the right attorney:
- Search for a criminal defense attorney who has experience handling the specific type of case you’re facing in Charleston, SC. For example, if you’re facing domestic violence or assault charges, don’t choose an attorney who primarily focuses on DUI cases, and vice versa.
- Have a face-to-face, one-on-one conversation with each criminal defense attorney in order to get a feel for how they communicate with you, and how comfortable you feel communicating with them. When you ask questions, do they seem to understand what you’re asking, and if not, do they seek clarification in order to give you the thorough response you deserve? Do they seem interested in truly listening to you, or do you feel rushed when speaking with them? It is critical for the relationship between you and your criminal defense attorney to be one built on trust, transparency, and communication.
- Choose an attorney who has experience in the local courts where your case will be handled. If you’re dealing with a Charleston, SC criminal case, you will benefit greatly from having a defense attorney who is familiar with the prosecutors, judges, and court processes in Charleston, SC. Local connections and an established reputation can in many cases mean the difference between winning and losing a case in Charleston, SC.
- Check reviews from reputable sources prior to hiring a criminal defense attorney. The internet is full of a lot of misinformation, but it can actually serve as an excellent tool in obtaining information about a criminal defense attorney whom you’re thinking about retaining. For example, you can check the South Carolina Bar to see if an attorney in Charleston, SC has received formal discipline in the past, and you can check for client testimonials online to scan for red flags, such as former clients who didn’t receive regular updates from the attorney, or who ended up being charged more than the amount originally agreed to.
- Don’t make your decision in a rush. Yes, time is of the essence for a defendant facing criminal charges, and no, you should not create unnecessary delays in finding the right criminal defense attorney to represent you. However, making a decision in haste and thereby choosing the wrong attorney is guaranteed to lead to a far worse outcome than taking a little extra time to find the right one.
Just because you have been charged with a crime does not mean that you are doomed to the consequences of that crime. The criminal law system in this country allows each individual charged with a crime the opportunity to present his or her side of the story in a court of law to be judged by a jury of his or her peers.
An experienced and aggressive Charleston criminal defense attorney can take measures to help you receive a successful outcome to your case. At Sahn Law Firm – Attorneys at Law in Charleston, South Carolina, we are fully prepared to protect you from the severe consequences that your charges may carry, from loss of liberty to high fines.
Michael Sahn – Charleston Criminal Defense Attorney
In accordance with United States and South Carolina law, individuals subject to criminal accusations are provided with certain rights to ensure they are not wrongfully convicted or punished too severely. Therefore, it is vitally important that a defendant consult with and hire a seasoned Charleston criminal defense attorney who can not only guide and support them through the complex process, but also secure their future by reducing the charges, getting the charges dismissed, or getting a “not guilty” verdict. In addition, a skilled criminal defense attorney is able to protect their clients from the potentially severe consequences of being convicted in a court of law, which include high fines and jail sentences. Ideally, a Charleston criminal defense attorney will begin devising a winning strategy for their client even before the prosecuting attorney has had a chance to start working on the file.
Criminal prosecution is the system of laws and regulations that attempt to keep the public safe, as well as deter wrongful conduct. Individuals who are accused of violating South Carolina law are subject to incarceration, fines, and other penalties depending upon the severity of the crime. Undoubtedly, the American criminal justice system is complex and adversarial in nature. Aaccused individuals require the assistance of an experienced criminal defense attorney to get them out of jail on bond (bail), and fight for them to keep them out of jail or prison.
Individuals accused of more serious crimes are generally charged with the class of offenses called “Felonies.” Felonies generally carry more prison time than misdemeanors. Felonies include violent crimes such as murder, burglary, and robbery, as well as “white-collar” crimes such as financial embezzlement, money laundering, and wire fraud. The fundamental aim of law enforcement agencies is to investigate the alleged crimes within their jurisdiction and then turn the case over to prosecutors to prosecute the case. This is when an accused individual has the constitutional right to have a criminal defense attorney represent them.
Having an experienced Charleston criminal defense attorney on one’s side will prove fruitful in getting them through whatever difficult legal situation they face. By building a strong defense, a Charleston criminal defense attorney can help an individual avoid jail time, staggering fines, and a criminal record. Every client’s case is unique, and this is something that an experienced Charleston criminal defense attorney will always take into consideration when formulating the strongest possible defense strategy.
Put A Former Prosecutor On Your Side
As a former prosecutor in South Carolina, I am familiar with the inner workings of the criminal justice system. With me representing you, you will have an arsenal of experience and knowledge on your side, defending your rights and fighting to defeat or reduce the charges against you.
For more information about the types of cases I handle, please visit the following pages:
- Drug offenses: Drawing on my years of experience, training and knowledge of the law, I will quickly move to minimize charges and penalties.
- What Are Common Types Of Drug Cases That You Handle?
- What Is The General Timeline Of A Drug Related Case In South Carolina?
- Can A Defendant Plead Guilty When They Aren’t?
- What Are The Different Types Of Pleas In South Carolina?
- At What Point In The Criminal Process Do I Enter A Plea Of Guilty Or Not Guilty?
- What is Public Disorderly Conduct in South Carolina?
- Domestic violence: Prosecutors have become increasingly vigilant in their penalization of criminal domestic violence. However, just because you have been arrested does not mean you are guilty.
- Assault and murder: Violent crimes are some of the gravest accusations that you can face in the criminal system.
- Gun charges: Once a weapon becomes a part of criminal charges, the possibility of significant prison time increases.
- Bond/Bail: If you are in jail following an arrest, I’ll do everything I can to secure your prompt release.
- Driving under the influence (DUI): The penalties for driving under the influence in South Carolina are extremely harsh. The sooner you put your case in the hands of an experienced South Carolina criminal defense attorney/DUI defense lawyer, the better off you’ll be.
- Police Encounters: Police encounters can catch a person off guard and surprise you when you least expect it. If you have had a police encounter and you or a loved one were arrested after it, this information may be useful.
I also represent clients who face theft charges, traffic offenses, probation violations, criminal sexual conduct, juvenile offenses and white collar crimes. I handle cases in General Sessions Court, federal court, magistrate court, and municipal or traffic court.
Learn more about my background and credentials.
- What Can Someone Expect When They Call Your Office Regarding Their Criminal Case?
- What Additional Legal Expenses Can I Expect In My Criminal Defense?
- What Are The Common Types Of Criminal Cases That You Handle?
- What Happens Within The First 24 Hours Of My Arrest?
Contact Me For A Free Initial Consultation
To discuss your case with a former prosecutor who understands how the South Carolina criminal justice system works, please contact Michael Sahn, Charleston criminal defense attorney, today at (843) 856-2222. There is no charge for your initial consultation.
Geographic Areas we Cover:
- Berkeley County Criminal Defense Attorney
- Isle of Palms Criminal Defense Attorney
- Summerville Criminal Defense Attorney
- Folly Beach Criminal Defense Attorney
- North Charleston Criminal Defense Attorney
- Mount Pleasant Criminal Defense Attorney