What Are The Penalties For DUI In South Carolina?
The penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) and driving with an unlawful alcohol concentration (DUAC) in South Carolina are severe and go far beyond a fine and suspension of your driver’s license. Sahn Law Firm in Charleston, South Carolina, is here to review the charges against you and the possible consequences you face. We can also discuss DUI defenses. No one should plead guilty to DUI charges without first discussing their case with an experienced defense lawyer.
The following summarizes the potential criminal consequences you will face for DUI or DUAC in South Carolina:
DUI — 1 st Offense:
- Six months driver’s license suspension
- Up to a $1,000 fine, depending on blood-alcohol content (BAC)
- Up to 90 days in jail, depending on BAC
DUI — 2 nd Offense:
- One year driver’s license suspension
- Up to a $6,500 fine, depending on BAC
- Up to three years in jail, depending on BAC
DUI — 3 rd Offense:
- Two years driver’s license suspension
- Up to a $10,000 fine, depending on BAC
- Up to five years in jail, depending on BAC
DUI — 4 th Offense:
- Permanent revocation of driver’s license
- Up to seven years in jail, depending on BAC
In addition to criminal consequences, you may face possible job loss and a lifetime criminal record. You also face thousands of dollars in expenses for driver’s license reinstatement fees and high-risk (SR-22) auto insurance.
For More Information About DUI Penalties And Defenses
As a former top DUI prosecutor, I know how the state of South Carolina puts DUI cases together. As your attorney, I know to build the strongest defense at each step of the prosecution’s case, from the blood tests and field sobriety tests to the videos and documentation of the stop.
To arrange a meeting, please contact me at Sahn Law Firm today at (843) 507-1999.